It looks as if messages are being sent from Haining Castle – or being received.
The neglected remains of this castle – also known as Almond Castle – stand in the middle of an abandoned brickworks just beside the Union Canal near Linlityhgow.
The castle was built by the Crawford family around the 1400s, but it then passed to the Livingstones in 1542.
They found themselves on the wrong side of the Jacobite rebellion of 1715, and their land – including the castle – was forfeited. According to http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/central_west_scotland/almond_castle.html the land was then sold to the York Buildings Company, which in turn sold it to William Forbes.
The castle itself is in something of a dodgy condition and is supposedly fenced off, but it is easy to get into if one is foolish enough…